Sunday, April 21, 2013

I Love to See the Temple

Back in primary we used to sing all the time called "I Love to see the Temple" and that has pretty much been my theme song for the last couple weeks.  Here are the lyrics.

I Love to see the Temple
I'm going there some day
To feel the Holy Spirit
To listen and to pray
For the Temple is a house of God
A place of love and beauty
I'll prepare myself while I am young
This is my sacred duty

I Love to see the Temple
I'll go inside someday
I'll cov'nant with my Father
I'll promise to obey
For the Temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together
As a child of God I've learned this truth
A fam'ly is forever.

I can not fully express how much more this song means to me now then what it did just a month ago.  It is true I have always loved to see the temple, when they were building the Albuquerque New Mexico Temple every week my family would go out of our way to drive by it and see the progress on our way home from church.  Even though we couldn't always tell and it usually just consisted of pulling over to the side of the road for a minute or two before we turned around and went home it was always great that we went out of our way to do so.  But even then I don't think I ever really fully understood how wonderful the temple truly is. 

Last week I was able to actually go through the temple to receive my own endowments and it was a whirl wind ride from the time I decided to start looking into it and when I went through, it was no more then a month and a half from start to finish.  I started feeling as though maybe I should start looking into it towards the end of February, but I was afraid that my Bishop would tell me no, that I needed to wait until I was older, so I didn't really want to have the rejection.  Then one Sunday my stake had a relief society fireside on Temples, I didn't really want to go because honestly who wants to go to a fireside with just relief society, well my visiting teacher invited me to go with her, so I thought I would be nice and go so I could support her trying to do what she was supposed to.  This fireside changed my life really, it was probably the best fireside I have ever been to and it answered all of my questions and I felt really strongly then that it was time to go see my Bishop.   With going on vacation I wasn't able to go in and see him for two weeks after that but when I did I still wasn't expecting it to happen for a long time, at the earliest being late in the summer.  When I brought it up I was nervous, I didn't know what to say or how he would take it, I had no need to be.  I walked out with a temple recommend that day.  Over the next week I got my second interview which was with a wonderful man who was just so excited for me he could barely contain it, and I had another meeting with my Bishop so he could talk to me more about what was going to happen.  It just so happened that the timing of all of this seems to have been meant to be.  My parents were both able to come out since my mother has a broken leg and it just so happened that my dad ended up getting several job interviews while he was out here for that week, it was really divine intervention in my opinion.

April 9th, I was able to go through and it was literally the best experience I have ever had, everyone kept telling me that it was a once in and eternity opportunity, and it truly was.  Since then I have done 2 more sessions aside from my own and some sealings.  I am so grateful that I live so close to the temple, I keep feeling like I need to go back every day and spend some time there, I even went this afternoon after church and sat in the parking lot for an hour just so I could be close to the house of the Lord.  The Temple is the House of the Lord and he is there just waiting for me to come and visit with him, and I am always impatient to get back there once I leave.  I love to see the Temple, it is the peace in my life that I have been searching for for a very long time, nothing can reach me while I am there.  I am very glad that I didn't have to wait until I was getting married or going on a mission to go through I am grateful for this time that I have to be able to savor the experience I have had and to work on my relationship with my Father in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment