Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Traditions

Happy Easter Everyone!
Everyone has traditions for just about every holiday, my family was no different when I was little although the older I have gotten the fewer traditions we actually still do.  Some of our traditions were always having a pot roast for the 4th of July and of course a few fireworks.  For Thanksgiving of course we always had the traditional dinner but all had to take a part in making it which in some way was our tradition.  Christmas we celebrated by doing the German Advent, the 4 Sundays before Christmas, and one of the best but that sadly due to growing up and some of us thinking we need to get married but every Christmas eve all 4 of us girls would sleep together in the same room, I am sure that my older sister loved this because that meant they were in charge of keeping me in bed, and what little girl wants to go to sleep or bed when presents are being put under the tree.  So anyways just a few of the traditions that my family had while I was growing up, but one of my absolute favorite traditions fell on Easter.

My family really didn't do egg hunts, in fact I don't really remember doing any egg hunts at home but thats ok we would still get the candy and not have to work that hard to get it.  Also of course my family did dye eggs, but really who doesn't?  But none of the regular traditions ever really were what made my families Easter celebrations special.  Every Easter my wonderful parents would buy each girl a brand new dress!  Honestly I don't know how or what started this tradition but growing up I absolutely loved it, I guess others probably also had this tradition but it was one of my favorites.

When I was a little girl I loved dresses, plain dresses, church dresses, fancy dresses, and I wore them all the time, pretty much anywhere I went I usually had a dress on.   So it shouldn't be that big of a surprise that when Easter Morning came along I was one happy girl.  Sadly the older I go the less we really did our traditions but I suppose that is just part of life.  Anyways I hadn't thought about this tradition for a very long time but then recently I was asked if my family had any fun traditions to do which got me to remember, at first I was thinking well its just going to be me and my sister and I will be lucky if I even have church off work let alone be able to make dinner or strive to do some tradition or another but then I remembered that it was going to be my niece's first Easter, so I had to ask my sister if she remembered to buy little Miss Mione Moe a new dress for Easter, I was happy to hear that she had and that the Boston Family Tradition of getting a new dress for Easter hasn't completely died out yet.  And for those of you that are wondering, no I did not get my self a new dress for Easter this year, but one year this will be a tradition that I will make sure I do.

1 comment:

  1. And they were beautiful dresses for beautiful girls. You have wise parents.

    ReplyDelete