Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mount Vernon


Yesterday we traveled to Mt. Vernon. I must say it was a very amazing adventure, there was so much history there, and it was kind of cool to think that some of the greatest men in American History had walked some of the same paths that I was walking. The House, also known as the Manson, was pretty nice sized, and the colors that were painted on the walls, were the same as the ones that George Washington and his Wife Martha picked out, now let me tell you about these colors, back then walls were either white or a pale color, unless you were in the home of George Washington, then there were bright colors of green and blue. They said about 40% of the furniture in the house was original, but I couldn't tell the difference. Inside the house were were able to walk through some of the rooms, and look inside others. We were also able to see the room where the Washingtons slept, and the bed that was in there was the bed that George Washington died on, I thought that that was pretty amazing. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the inside of the house though, which I was disappointed about but, I will get over it eventually.

The view from the back porch was one of the prettiest that I have ever seen, it looks over river and is just a beautiful sight. Even just the empty fields and forests were very pretty. The buildings around the house were very interesting to be able to look into, the only one that we saw that I wasn't able to get a close up view of, was of the Necessity, the bathroom, which I made sure to get a picture of from where I stood, because as you know it is very necessary to know where the bathroom was.

We also were able to go by the Old tomb, where the Washingtons were first buried but later moved out of due to part of President Washingtons will to build another one a little further away on the plantation. All I had to say for the Old Tomb was that they had a beautiful view for dead people. The New Tomb where George Washington, his wife and 20 some odd family members are now buried. When we got close to it the surroundings quieted and it was a very respectful moment. While I was there I got my picture taken with the first President of the United States, an interesting thing, but John said we had to do it. We also passed by the memorial for the slaves that served on the Mt. Vernon Plantation.

Down where the actual farming took place we saw a remodel of the 16 sided barn that George Washington designed, they used the same lay out and plans that he used so that it was pretty accurate. When I walked up to the door of the barn I was the only one up there, and there was a button that said press for audio, well I got curious and pushed the button, after a few tries a booming voice that could be heard clearly from the fence into the farm started going, it was an interesting moment in my life. down by the farm they had a model of a home that would be similar to what the slaves who lived there would have lived in.

To complete the day we went through a museum that had lots of belongings of the Washington's and the famous dentures of the President. Well I really wanted to take a picture of the dentures, but they didn't let me. So basically everything I really wanted to take a picture of, I couldn't, oh well. But I really enjoyed the trip. Next time I go I'm going to go on the National treasure tour.

3 comments: